A German transportation manufacturing firm recently announced their plans to test a cable free elevator in 2016. If successful, this innovative system will increase efficiency and reduce energy consumption while occupying less space than traditional elevators.
According to Archinect.com, ThyssenKrupp, a German transportation manufacturer, recently announced their plans to start testing their cable-less MULTI elevator system. The circular system uses multilevel brakes and a number of magnetic levitation propelled cabins to carry passengers vertically as well as horizontally. The cabins move at a speed of five meters per second and makes stops every 50 meters to pick up or drop off passengers.
The Advantages of a Cable Free Elevator System
While this new type of elevator design provides a new level of convenience for tenants and visitors in large buildings, the cable free transport system offers benefits for the owner of the structure.
These advantages include:
• Greater efficiency in passenger transportation
• Elevator system capabilities increased by 50 percent
• Reduces the energy consumption of the elevator by 50 percent
• Does not require the installation of new shafts
• Needs smaller shafts than what is currently required, which increases the usable space in the building.
If the testing of this system is successful, the opportunity for creative and innovative design increases for both architects and engineers.